This is my favorite picture of me and my boys and it perfectly captures my approach to parenting. I had 3 boys in less than 3 years. My oldest Nick came first and then we welcomed our VERY fraternal twins, Drew and Josh 2 years and 10 months later. I get questions like ‘don’t you wish you had a girl’, which I think we can all agree is rude and my answer is always a big, fat NO. I love my boys and I love being a boy mom. Life is busy and stressful, so I work really hard to make sure we don’t take things to seriously. Laughter is a must in our house!
Things I love. Yes, I know some of these are basic. I don’t know what to tell you:
- The Beach – I’m a Florida girl, born and raised and the beach is my happy place.
- Sports – I’m a huge football and baseball fan. The Seminoles, Bucs and Rays are my teams and I cheer for them and yell at them with equal fervor.
- Coffee – I don’t think I need to say anything else.
- Jesus – But I cuss a little.
- Jen Hatmaker – She is my spirit animal and my best friend. She just doesn’t know it.
- Alone time – I’m an extrovert and a big people person, but I need my alone time for the safety of myself and those around me.
- Reading – I’m a Stephen King, Patricia Cornwell and John Grisham girl, but I also love books by Brene Brown, Jen (see above), Glennon Doyle and Shauna Niequist.
- My crazy family – My parents and my brother and his family all live within 10 miles of us. We like each other, so it works, but we are a loud and crazy crew.
- My friends – I have a tribe of amazing, funny women and I would be lost without them. They say the hard things, they love my kids, and they know my quirks and love me anyway. I hope you have your own tribe to do life with.
- Dogs – We have a black lab named Chief who is my 4th child. We’re all obsessed with him and we treat him better than most people who come into our home. Also, when I’m grouchy, pictures of puppies turn it around every time.
Things I don’t love:
- Crafting – Sorry girls, I am not your DYI or crafting expert. When my girlfriends and I go to do a craft event, I make them finish my project and count down the minutes until I can go home.
- Money – I don’t math well, so I am not your go to for budgeting or saving money. I like to spend it, I’m just not good at keeping track of it. It’s my husband’s favorite thing about me.
- Fake anything – Give me real sour cream, real butter and real people. Vaguebooking is my biggest pet peeve. I just think life is easier when we are REAL about things.
- Traveling – Unless we are staying in the state, I am not an adventure girl. I like my house and my routine and my food and when we travel, those things don’t come with us and I’m a hot mess. We’ve made incredible memories traveling with our kids, but we also have memories of me losing my mind.
So that’s a quick glimpse into my life. I hope you’ll find this blog to be a place where we can be real about the things we struggle with, learn new ways of doing things and laugh about all of it.